Sunday, September 23, 2012

 
Happy Fall Quilting!
 
 
This is the piece just accepted into Art Quilts XVII in Chandler, Az. It will open on November 2. The call was for a piece that addressed the concept of integrating a paradox.... a truth not self-evident, a conundrum or opposites.

This piece is called Pair o' Docks and is a visual paradox... I painted on canvas with only 3 colors of paint and then machine quilted it with only 3 colors of thread. Even up close the green thread and paint appear to be two different colors, one minty and the other blue green. It is half of a diptych. I painted this (second one) thinking it would validate the green color difference of the first one. To my surprise, it created a second set of different greens... so four different greens. Only this one was accepted into the show (which was fine, it's a LOT of bright color).
Here is the first piece I did:

 
Both pieces are free hand painted with acrylic on canvas with 3 coats, no tape or stencils. It would have been easier if I had appliqued, fused or pieced it!  Maybe I will play with that for the next ones. I'm fascinated with the juxtaposition of color creating such interesting results. Because the orange bars are wider on the striped piece than the wavy piece, the green gets limey and more blue between the pink bars. Here is a detail shot showing the painting and quilting....


This week I found out my piece, "Aspens" was selected for the SAQA New Mexico regional show, "Enchanted Threads". It is all fused applique and free motion embroidered and quilted..


 
Sandra Branjord and Francie Murphy were accepted as well and we are considering going over for the opening Nov. 10.

In my last post I said I would upload photos of the pieces that are displayed at Vision Gallery in Chandler (AZ).  I have a felted vase, a couple of organza bowls and some felted bags on display:

                                      

 The beige bag was made from a cashmere jacket, fulled in the washing machine and then converted into a bag complete with its original slot pockets on the front (for cell phone and keys):

Hope you've had fun looking... I've certainly  had fun "working"!

More soon!

Betty

2 comments:

  1. Betty,
    Instead of a print catalog, I made an online catalog of all the pieces in "Art Quilts XVII: Integrating a Paradox"

    check them out here:
    ArtQuiltsAZ.blogspot.com
    Betty Hahn

    Adriene

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just visited the show today. What an exciting exhibit. I am glad we didn't miss it.

    JB
    Prescott, Az

    ReplyDelete